Wednesday 21 June 2017

Sails!

Measurements
You have a picture of a yacht or a catamaran.  There is one sail on the yacht.  Your challenge is to:

  • Create a matching sail for your yacht.
  • Explain how you would work out how much material would be required to make both sails.Jun 21, 2017 11:44:45 AM.jpg

First of all I got given a boat picture with a triangle shaped sail.  I had to measure the inside of my sail. Once I got the measurements I had to use them to create the exact same sail. Once I cut out my sail I had to match them up to make a rectangle and work out the area. The measurements I got were 5cm for the width and 11.6 cm for my height. To work out the area I knew that I have to multiply those two results together to recieve the area. So I went 5cm x 11.6cm which equals 58cm².

Steps

  1. Take your boat and measure the inside of your sail

  1. Once you have your measurements you then need to get a piece of paper and use your measurements to draw up that exact same sail on a different colour piece of paper

  1. After your sail has been drawn up cut your sail out

  1. Once you have cut your sail out then you are going to want to  place it so that your two sails (triangles) create a rectangle shape

  1. Once you have a rectangle you are now going to work out the area by multiplying the width by the height, in my case 5 cm x 11.6 cm = 58 cm²


  1. After that take your piece of coloured paper and glue it down so that it creates a sail and has the same reflection as the sail on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment.